Farm Plated Vehicles FAQ

1. Can I renew my farm plates and trailers registration online?
Currently farm vehicle registrations cannot be renewed online. Trailer registrations can be renewed online.
2. When do farm vehicle registrations expire?
Farm vehicle registrations expire on March 31.
3. What activities are allowed and not allowed for Farm Plated (F-Plated) vehicles travelling within New Brunswick?
Farm truck means a truck that is owned by a person carrying on a farm business and entitled to use the designation “Registered Professional Agricultural Producer”, “RPAP” or “R.P.A.P.” under section 4 of the Agricultural Producers Registration and Farm Organizations Funding Act and that is used only for transporting: (a) the truck owner and any other person who is transported free of charge, (b) tools, machinery, equipment and materials used in agricultural production on a farm, and (c) animals and animal products, poultry and poultry products, plants and plant products and products of the forest grown or produced on a farm; Any activities outside of this description are not permitted.
4. Are the same activities listed above the same when travelling in other provinces and in the United States?
If you are intending to operate your farm plated vehicle in another jurisdiction you should contact that jurisdiction for information on what is permitted. The following link should assist in locating the proper contact for each jurisdiction.
5. Are Farm Plated vehicles required to register under the International Registration Plan (IRP)?
  1. Not if the vehicle is only traveling in NB
  2. In general for out of province travel, if the F-plated vehicle is only hauling the farmer’s own product, no IRP is required. This applies to neighboring provinces and Maine.
  3. However, you should contact the jurisdictions you plan to travel in for assistance. Here is a link to a contact list for all .
6. When is it necessary to register with IFTA? How do I register and where do I obtain my cab card?
If the vehicle meets the definition of a Qualified Motor Vehicle AND is traveling outside the province of New Brunswick, then it is necessary to register with IFTA. Qualified Motor Vehicle means a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and: Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight. Qualified Motor Vehicle does not include recreational vehicles. Information on this application can be found at the following link:
7. Where can I find information on the weight restrictions in N.B. Can I apply to receive a special permit to operate at higher weights?
A special permit is available for weights above legal limits. The exact amount of increased weight allowed will depend on many factors and is application specific. In NB, special permits may be obtained at the following link: , or for specific questions please email: SpecialPermits@gnb.ca For information regarding legal vehicle specific configurations and weight limits please refer to For additional trucking related information refer to:
8. What are the maximum width, length and height sizes allowed for vehicles (i.e. farm tractor, tractor-trailer, pony trailer, truck trailer combination and tractor trailer) when travelling in New Brunswick? Are the same restrictions applicable on New Brunswick highways, municipal and rural roads?

Farm tractor and other implements of husbandry are exempted from Vehicle Dimensions and Mass Regulations for incidental movements on the highway. Incidental movement has been deemed by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure to not exceed 30 km. This exemption does not include vehicles that are operated for remuneration other than in the agricultural operations of the owner. All implements of husbandry,that are designed for speeds less than 40 km, are subject to Regulation 84-98 – Slow Moving Vehicle Sign Regulation – Motor Vehicle Act. For all other vehicles not specifically exempted, the Legal Vehicle Dimensions in NB are governed by: Regulation 2001-67, Vehicle Dimensions and Mass Regulation – Motor Vehicle Act. Legal Vehicle Dimensions are as follows:

  • Width: 2.6 m (8 feet 6 inches)
  • Height: 4.15 m (13 feet 7 inches)
  • Length (2 units) : 23 m (75 feet)
  • Length ( 3 units – A/B/C trains): 25 m (82 feet)

These dimensions apply to all roads under the admin and control of the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, other dimensions are available by permit only. For specific questions regarding vehicle specific configurations and weight limits please refer to Specific questions regarding municipalities should be directed to the municipality in question.

9. What are the registration requirements for trailers?
For smaller trailers, such as manufactured utility trailers, the max GVW is taken from the New Vehicle Information Sheet provided by the manufacturer. The registered GVW, must be between the tare weight and max GVW, as supplied by the client. For larger trailers please contact Service New Brunswick via web at or 1-888-762-8600, if calling within North America.
10. What are the requirements for farm tractors travelling on roads?
Except when directly crossing the highway, every farm tractor and self-propelled implement of husbandry or any vehicle towed by them, shall have a slow moving vehicle emblem attached to the rear. Every person while operating a farm tractor on a highway shall have his or her license to operate a motor vehicle in his or her immediate possession. The operator must, upon the request of a peace officer, immediately present and deliver into the peace officer’s hands such license for examination by the peace officer.
11. Can I transport dangerous goods with a farm plated vehicle?
Yes, providing you comply with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act. Requirements under this Act vary depending on the product. Please refer to
12. Am I required to licence and insure Farm Plated vehicles?
Yes, Farm Plated vehicles are required to be licensed and insured.
13. Can marked/ colored motive fuel be used in Farm Plated vehicles?
No, tax exempt, marked/colored motive fuel is not permitted to be consumed in vehicles licensed for the road (such as F-Plated vehicles). Such actions will result in fines and or penalties.