Farm Plated Vehicles FAQ
1. Can I renew my farm plates and trailers registration online?
2. When do farm vehicle registrations expire?
3. What activities are allowed and not allowed for Farm Plated (F-Plated) vehicles travelling within New Brunswick?
4. Are the same activities listed above the same when travelling in other provinces and in the United States?
5. Are Farm Plated vehicles required to register under the International Registration Plan (IRP)?
- Not if the vehicle is only traveling in NB
- In general for out of province travel, if the F-plated vehicle is only hauling the farmer’s own product, no IRP is required. This applies to neighboring provinces and Maine.
- However, you should contact the jurisdictions you plan to travel in for assistance. Here is a link to a contact list for all .
6. When is it necessary to register with IFTA? How do I register and where do I obtain my cab card?
7. Where can I find information on the weight restrictions in N.B. Can I apply to receive a special permit to operate at higher weights?
8. What are the maximum width, length and height sizes allowed for vehicles (i.e. farm tractor, tractor-trailer, pony trailer, truck trailer combination and tractor trailer) when travelling in New Brunswick? Are the same restrictions applicable on New Brunswick highways, municipal and rural roads?
Farm tractor and other implements of husbandry are exempted from Vehicle Dimensions and Mass Regulations for incidental movements on the highway. Incidental movement has been deemed by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure to not exceed 30 km. This exemption does not include vehicles that are operated for remuneration other than in the agricultural operations of the owner. All implements of husbandry,that are designed for speeds less than 40 km, are subject to Regulation 84-98 – Slow Moving Vehicle Sign Regulation – Motor Vehicle Act. For all other vehicles not specifically exempted, the Legal Vehicle Dimensions in NB are governed by: Regulation 2001-67, Vehicle Dimensions and Mass Regulation – Motor Vehicle Act. Legal Vehicle Dimensions are as follows:
- Width: 2.6 m (8 feet 6 inches)
- Height: 4.15 m (13 feet 7 inches)
- Length (2 units) : 23 m (75 feet)
- Length ( 3 units – A/B/C trains): 25 m (82 feet)
These dimensions apply to all roads under the admin and control of the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, other dimensions are available by permit only. For specific questions regarding vehicle specific configurations and weight limits please refer to Specific questions regarding municipalities should be directed to the municipality in question.